As we near the end of the month, I realize that I've been terribly neglectful of posting on this blog. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I've returned from the trip to everyday, normal kind of activities. Or maybe it's due to the fact that so many changes have occured that I don't know how to adequately express my thoughts. Or the fact that other things seemed more important at the time. Or, lastly, that I didn't know how to relate everything I've been feeling without being vulnerable. Regardless, I've decided to share some of my life these past few weeks with you again :)
Since January 10th, many changes have occured. Most notably, I've moved into a new apartment here in S-town with three other amazing girls from Evangel. Three of us are grads; the other is student teaching this semester. It's been a blessing to live with these women, share life with them, and become acquainted with new friends. This apartment definitely was an upgrade from this summer's: majorly. Haha! The four of us share 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms along with a living room and kitchen. Perks include a washer and dryer, dishwasher, pantry, and porch with a storage closet. I am more than content with our living arrangement. Another perk is being so close to where I work, which leads me to the next big change that has occured.
The night we flew back in from Kenya I decided to check my voicemail while trying to fall asleep (stupid jet lag!). In an answer to prayer, I had received a call offering me the one and only position I had applied to before leaving for Christmas break: ER technician at a local hospital. Between that time and now, I have passed background checks, signed my life away in new-hire paperwork, and attended 4 days of orientation. Today was my first round of clinicals in the med/surg unit. I still have 1 more week of orientation and 2 more weeks of training before I'll be placed in the ER. I am incredibly grateful to be gaining this medical experience. And God knew what he was doing when he placed me in the ER; I can't handle boring, monotonous jobs, and the ER is anything but boring :)
In my spare time I've spent hours visiting with amazing friends, went home to see my incredible Mom and Dad (oh and the dog, haha!), read several books, finished another season of Psych, worked out numerous times, made a couple treks to Orange Leaf, spent some time babysitting my 4 favorite little men here in town, tasted Russian tea, had a roomie girls' night complete with a chick flick and cupcakes, volunteered at Convoy of Hope, and signed up to be an English Conversation Partner with a foreign exchange student from Vietnam.
Although at times it's incredibly difficult being away from Evangel, I am trying to distance myself some. It's hard to limit my time when most of my friends are still there, but I know it's healthy to give them space and for me to be able to adjust to my new stage of life. No matter how badly I wish I were still there with my circle of friends and professors, I can't dwell in the past without crippling my present. So, I continually rely on God to meet my need for friendship, take extra measures to initiate meeting with friends so as not to become too lonely, and learn to be content being alone. I've never really struggled with needing to be the center of attention, surrounded by a large group of fans (so to speak), but I know myself...and I know that especially during the winter, I'm more prone to being slightly depressed. Not to worry; it's not a big deal and I'm aware of it...just being real.
So, as we creep up on February, pause to reflect on the month that's passed since we rang in the New Year 2011. Looking back on my own experiences, I notice several differences. January 1st found me under the warm, night sky of Nairobi, Kenya gazing up at the stars and watching fireworks burst. February 1st will find me in America anticipating below-freezing windchills and a blizzard warranting the governor of my state to put the National Guard on alert. Two completely different situations. In the past month, I've experienced incredible growth in some areas; I've regressed several steps in others. But through it all, I know that God is still the same, his love is unfailing, and his plan is good. And despite the uncertainty of the future, I know I can trust the One who created all time and space. May you rest confident in this assurance as well as we pass another milestone of this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment