The final day of Brackenhurst we weren’t required to provide childcare in the afternoon. Therefore, I had some free time to go up and visit a group home in Limuru. Mama Ruthie went with me, driving us out there to visit. We got lost on the way because she was taking a route that was shorter, but not known to her. Haha! Just goes to show how you can get lost so easily in Africa because there are no markings, street signs, etc. We ended up going around the long way that she knew and got there without a problem.
Pastor Simon is an incredible man. His church is part of the K.A.G. and they provide a holistic type of care for the people. Not only was there a church (spiritual), but there was a school (mental), a garden and clinic (physical). The property had a group home, which I didn’t know about before visiting, but have since learned that it is somewhat like an orphanage only more nurturing. Group homes are limited in number, they have a dining area, kitchen, bathrooms, sleeping rooms, and a “mama” who is like their actual mom, taking care of them and cleaning, cooking, loving.
They had a small garden where they grew food to sustain themselves. Most of what they grew was cabbage, greens, tomatoes, onions, potatoes. In addition to the garden, they had several cows that provided milk. There greenhouse was growing tomatoes for them to sell and make a profit.
We toured the school and learned about some of the differences between our two continents in the school systems. Their school year begins with the calendar year while ours starts in August. They have a primary school, which most kids are able to attend. However, depending on a point system and their exam scores, they may or may not attend secondary school. Primary school composes grades 1-8 (they don’t say first grade, but rather grade 1; they also call the grades in high school form 1-4). If the kids do not receive a high enough exam score, they are not recommended to or allowed to attend a secondary school. This essentially subjects them to a life of idleness. They do not become citizens capable of voting, owning property, or driving until 18, so they become involved with gangs or drinking. The pastor at this group home is highly proactive in making the students keep good grades so this does not happen to his kids.
After we toured the group home, the garden and greenhouse, and the school, we stopped by the clinic. The whole visit was originally set up so that I could observe the medical services they provided since this is what I’m interested in and why Lifeworks provided funding. The building used as the clinic was tiny with two small rooms connected by a closet-like room with shelves. The first room was the examining room and we happened to be there when a patient was. The “doctor” was a woman as was the lab tech. I’m not sure why, but this surprised me. I’m not sure the woman was actually a doctor…perhaps a nurse or nurse practitioner. It’s difficult to know if some of the terminology we use to communicate with each other have the same definitions. The closet contained the pharmaceuticals, and adjoining it was the lab (or rather the “rab” since they can’t pronounce the letter “L”. Haha!) From the signs in the lab, it appears they are able to run many basic tests such as urinalysis, blood work, sugar levels, and such.
The clinic only charges a small fee (equivalent to $0.25) for the visit although the patient must pay for the meds. However, the med costs are the cheapest around, and the clinic has received a good reputation for care. People from far away come to receive services and are healed.
While visiting this facility, my heart ached. There is something about the yearning to use your knowledge to help others. The other pastors kept suggesting that I would come back and help with their kids, clinic, and school. I was overwhelmed with the desire to be used overseas in a medical capacity. It can be frustrating here in the States going through so much school to receive the education necessary to help diagnose and treat people. I feel like I’m in a web of time-sucking steps. But, I also know we need properly-trained providers. Still it’s frustrating.
Although I’m not sure what path my life will take, I’m starting to see the possibilities. I don’t have to be restricted or limited to one hospital, one city, one school. God knows no boundaries. If it’s his will for me to work overseas at some point, he’s going to open the doors. He wouldn’t put that longing so deeply in my spirit if he wasn’t going to use in some way to bring him glory. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
(P.S. There will be pictures posted to f/b soon of the group home and clinic, so look for those!)
No comments:
Post a Comment