Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 8: Naivasha Medical Clinic

This is the final posting in the set of 3 to get you all caught up. I know it's a little long, but I know you'll enjoy it if you keep reading :) There are so many things I have failed to relate - it's so difficult to describe every part of the experience - but this will give you a taste of what's been happening.

Day 8: Naivasha Medical Clinic

This morning, Ruthie and I got up early to get ready for a medical clinic. The Bass family (Uncle Danny and Aunt Chrissy) were kind enough to allow us to join a team headed out to Naivasha, Kenya, just outside of Nairobi. Today was the grand opening of the clinic, so it was a pretty big deal. The team we were joining wasn't actually a medical team, but the Bass family was hosting them as a favor to a friend. And the team had just flown in a 3 a.m. this morning.

We packed up the vans and headed out around 6:30 a.m. Once we were at the clinic, Taylor, Ruthie and I were assigned to organizing the pharmacy and counting out children's multi-vitamins. Taylor is at university in North Carolina (although she's an MK and her family lives here) and is studying pre-pharm. It was fun to have another student along for the trip. One of the best comments this morning occurred when Ruthie and I were walking over to the Bass's house. We were in scrubs and she says, "I feel like a fake." Haha! She was referring to the fact that she hadn't done anything medical, not even studying it, but she was wearing the uniform.

After setting up the pharmacy and rooms, registration began. Then the 2 doctors began seeing the patients. I was allowed to observe in one room with Doctor James. It was interesting to watch the interaction between the Kenyans. Although most of the conversations were not in English, I could generally follow what the chief complaint and the gist of the conversations were. I felt like Doctor James gave me more credit for knowing how to do things than I actually did because he constantly asked me to perform tasks I had no confidence in doing. For example, he asked me to check their ears without a second thought. Then he pulled out the blood pressure cuff and stethoscope for another patient and asked me to confirm the blood pressure. These were things I hadn't known how to do before the medical clinic in India and which I hadn't done since then. Aaagh!

With one patient, I got to test his blood sugar using a glucometer (which I had never done before), and a baby came in with a gash on his head which I got to clean and bandage. However, there was one patient he wanted me to do a breast exam on which I told him I wouldn't know what I was looking for so he had ought to do it. Slightly awkward....but after that I mostly just listened to lung and heart sounds.

One funny moment occurred when Doctor James was examining a patient. Towards the end of the exam, but definitely during the exam, he turns to me and asks if I have finished taking my chai. Now, in order to understand the importance of this question, let me back up. Because Kenya is heavily influenced by British culture, they stick to strict tea times. The morning's work cannot begin until the chai is taken (usually around 10 a.m.). We had arrived, set up the clinic, and were ready to begin when we had to stop to take chai. Sometimes it's extremely inconvenient, but to refuse or rush through this process would be highly offensive. So we had taken chai once, then when I was in with Doctor James, the lady had brought us more chai. At this point, I was about to float away from drinking so much, but to be respectful, I just kept sipping it.

To return to the story now...Doctor James asks me in the middle of the exam if I had finished taking my chai. I thought this was somewhat odd since he was talking to the patient one moment then the next asking this question, but I told him I had taken some chai but was not finished. He asked if I might not like to finish taking my chai, and I asked him if he wished for me to finish. He said yes, so I got up, reached behind the patient for my mug, then quickly swallowed about half the cup in 4 seconds. I didn't want him to have to ask me again, so I didn't leave him the opportunity. Funny, funny.

Lunch was one of the most authentic Kenyan meals I have had since being here. We ate rice with carrot slivers, cabbage, chapati (a kind of bread similar to na'an), and a stew-like mixture of meat (cow, goat? who knows?) and peas with green pepper. Definitely an interesting flavor, although it wasn't bad at all. We also had warm sodas in glass bottles, which is nearly the only ways it's served here. Fanta is common (orange, pineapple) as well as a ginger soda (similar to, but much stronger than, ginger ale).

The clinic saw many people today. I'm not sure what the official number was, but I'm estimating around 80. The second half of the day went much more quickly than the first, but even so, we were nearly an hour later getting ready to leave than we had planned. As we packed and loaded, it was fun to play with the kids hanging around out back. They loved being chased and having their "photo" taken. It's amazing how kids in every culture are similar - it seems like they all like to have their hands in the air as if to say, "Look at me, I'm here." I'll be posting the pics soon on facebook, so keep your eyes open for those.

On our way back, we stopped at a restaurant called Java House. It's known as one of the upper-end restaurants that caters to Americans - supposedly it serves the most authentic burgers and other American food in Nairobi. They also had normal toilets, which is truly something worth mentioning. If you have never traveled outside of the States, you have really been missing out on something we lovingly refer to as the "squatty potty." All it really amounts to is a hole in the ground - no water, no toilet paper, and no soap or sanitizer. You quickly learn 2 things when it comes to relieving yourself in a foreign country: 1) Always use the bathroom when there is one whether you have to go or not; you never know when you're next opportunity may be and 2) always carry tissue in your pockets, because otherwise, you're going to regret not doing so.

After our delicious dinner, we headed back to the AG Gardens 3 where Ruthie's house is located. We had a wonderful day with Uncle Danny, Aunt Chrissy, and Joseph and Anna, plus the whole team. It once again confirmed that I wouldn't mind doing medical clinics in foreign countries for the rest of my life. There are always difficulties such as language barriers, but the end result is worth facing all logistical problems. My heart really reaches out to those who are sick and hurting - I want to be able to diagnose and treat their issues; to use my knowledge of medicine to make someone else's life better. And to do so in a Christian framework. The motto of the clinic today was "We treat, but God heals." I want that message to be the motto of my own career for the rest of my life. We really can't do anything on our own. And it's good to be aware that we are completely reliant on God's power.

No comments: