Since I've been here, I've heard quite a bit about a shopping place called Diamond Plaza, fondly abbreviated DP. It's an Indian shopping center where there are authentic items such as clothing, shoes, food, fireworks, and hindi movies. In addition, it's where all the men go to the barber for their haircuts. So, yesterday Ruthie, her Dad, and I got up early to make our way to DP. As he got his hair cut, we searched through the shops for good deals. There wasn't as much bartering here, but it didn't hurt to try.
We continued on to Westgate after this stop. Now, Westgate is the newest and nicest shopping center in Nairobi. I'm not sure most of the malls in America could compare. It reminded me a little of the Mall of America only not quite as large. It was definitely Western though, had about 4 stories with escalators, and had tight security. As soon as we drove into the parking garage, it felt like we were in a different country - all the nice cars parked in there. We stopped here just to get Ruthie's camera fixed at an electronics store. She had dropped it at Aunt Loretta's house on Christmas Day and the lens was non-functioning.
Then after our visit to Westgate, we headed over to a children's medical clinic where Ruthie was going for a basic physical. It was quite nice - somewhere I would be comfortable receiving treatment. It didn't seem much different from what we have back at home.
After we were back home, I experienced another Nairobi first - the electricity went off. From what I understand, this is a common occurrence here, but I had as yet seen it happen. Well, as we were fixing lunch, the power all of sudden just shut off. We were in the middle of melting cheese on our sandwiches in the toaster oven, so it was a little disappointing. But it didn't last long...probably only about 10 minutes.
In the afternoon, Ruthie, her mom, and I went over to the Windsor to lay out by the pool and read. I have really been enjoying the sunshine here - it's been good all around. We also went to work out after we were thoroughly baked. Pretty sure I was slightly burned by the end of the day, but not terribly.
Last night Ruthie's mom treated us all by making African curry. I had eaten African curry one other time at Ruthie's birthday this past year, but it was a little different. It was more spicy and we had tropical fruit as well (papaya, mango, apple, bananas). So the meal consisted of the fruit, fried peanuts, rice, and curry sauce with green peppers and chicken. Yummy! It's one of Ruthie's favorites so I'm glad we could have it.
Oh, one fun moment of the day was on the way back from the Windsor. Ruthie had asked on the way over if her mom would let her drive and she said no. So on the way back, we were with her dad and he said yes. Now, you must understand that it's kind of difficult to drive here. First you have the left side of the road deal, then you have the crazy matatus you constantly have to pass, there are no speed limits, no stop signs, and a huge land cruiser with stick shift.
So, we stopped on a back road, her dad and she switched places, and off we went. It wasn't too bad and I wasn't fearful of my life or anything, but if it had been me, I would have been concerned. We made it back to the compound using back roads, but then on the way into the compound, she let off the clutch too fast and the car died. It was a little embarrassing for her because of all the people around and the guard waiting to close the gate. But she ended up making it in, just for it to die again on a hill. At this point, her neighbors were watching and another car was coming at her and waiting. We made it to the house eventually. All I have to say is that it takes practice and you have to start somewhere, right? I know her dad had said I could try to drive too, but I might just wait until I'm back in the States :)
No comments:
Post a Comment