Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 5: Continued...

Day 5: Continued...

Because we didn't have a clock in our room, we kind of guestimated the time of the day. It went kind of like this: if it was dark out, go back to sleep; if the sun had risen, it was at least 6 a.m. - make decision accordingly. So, once the sun rose and I had woken up for the 4th time that morning, I decided it was time to get up. Haha! When I got downstairs and saw the time, it was only 6 a.m.

After breakfast and packing, we headed out on our way back to Nairobi. We had driven past the Great Rift Valley lookout points on the way down, and on our way back, we stopped to take some pictures. It was a little hazy, but absolutely spectacular. It is interesting as well how people here will flock to you trying to sell you items. They constantly are pushing merchandise in your face, telling you they have a good Christmas. It's so funny how they take the holiday out of context. We managed to not buy anything and still take our pictures, but how? I'm not sure :)

Another interesting thing I noticed about the trip was the number of animals along the side of the road. As we drove, we passed herds of goats and sheep, mules grazing, chickens and geese wandering about, cows and horses, and zebras. The animals were literally next to the highway just eating away, not tied down or anything. It really was quite a remarkable sight.

Once back at the house, I crashed. I figure this late in to being in Kenya, it would be ok to take a nap and still not be screwed up for sleeping later in the evening. Plus, I had taken 2 Dramamine for the road since it is bumpy and jostling in the Land Cruiser on Kenyan roads and I don't do too well with rear-wheel drive. So I was definitely fighting the drowsiness from the medicine and slept for some time when we came back.

Around 3:30 we headed over to the Windsor as a family to exercise. Ruthie and her dad used the gym, and I went with her mom to walk the 5K trail today. It really was gorgeous and I wish I had brought my camera with me because as we walked we came across a ton of monkeys. They would just be sitting by the path eating...something...maybe nuts? The closest thing I can compare them to in the States are squirrels - just sitting there watching you, crossing the path lazily, not skiddish at all. After the walk, we stopped by the spa at the Windsor and made appointments for pedicures/manicures tomorrow. It's gonna be great!

Tonight we are just chilling. It's been wonderful not having a schedule. Tomorrow Julia flies in from Sudan. It's certainly an exciting thing for the Lowenberg family! It will be the first time they've all been together again since last year at Christmas.

That's it for now. I'm going to try to post pictures soon so be looking for those. Until next time...

No comments: