Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Few of My (Least) Favorite Things

It's interesting how the seasons work. As the leaves fall and the temperatures drop, I am reminded once again that sometimes you have to go through your least favorite seasons to get to the ones you actually enjoy. Now if you are a winter-lover, reverse this analogy. However, I hate being cold. The early darkness makes me moody and tired. No matter how many years I live in Iowa, I don't think I will ever truly enjoy the season of winter. Aspects of winter? Of course. The entire season? No way.

That being said, life can feel the same way. I'm not in a season I particularly enjoy. In fact, I would really love not to be in this season. But that's ok, because there must be something beautiful developing that will be lovely and enjoyable. Just have to wade through the aloneness, (often overwhelming) options, and remain faithful. 

One thing I've learned in this season is that we all need people in our lives. People can drive you nuts and can challenge you and can comfort you and can hurt you and everything in between. They can seem to be the problem and they can seem to be the solution. But the thing that has been most apparent to me is that they bring out the qualities in my life that were already there - magnifying the selfishness, kindness, impatience, helping spirit, loneliness that was there all along. It's like they say about marriage - two imperfect people joining together does not make one perfect person; it only magnifies the imperfections. And that can be true of any relationship (friendship, family, professional, or romantic). 

I suppose it's an admirable thing to be constantly changing to be better. It doesn't seem to get any easier though, even knowing I don't have to do it by myself through my own sheer will power. 

Maybe this post is only relevant to me. Maybe not. Either way, it's what's on my mind. 


No comments: