Sometimes,
life is hard. This moment in my life is one of those times. I do not like going
through the fire of painful events. I do not like the refining process. And in
the middle of the heat, it is hard to remain hopeful that something beautiful
will result.
Relationships
help us see who we are because we cannot know who we are in isolation.
Different personalities sharpen each other or cause sparks to fly. Either way,
you cannot be unaffected by interacting with another human being. We all leave
our mark on each other. I suppose one of the bigger questions to consider is
what mark are you making?
Jesus
wants to make his mark on me as well. As a Christ follower, I am to be marked
by love. That is the way Jesus said the world would know we are his disciples:
if we love one another. In the spirit-crushing times, though, it is impossible
to love by one’s own power. It’s just too hard. Cue Holy Spirit.
The
song I kept hearing on the radio yesterday speaks to this process. It’s a peppy
tune that makes you want to punch the audio system when you are fighting back the
tears. It doesn’t always make sense – how can one be joyful under pressure?
Pressure is uncomfortable. Star Wars analogy anyone? Remember when Luke and
Leia are in the trash compactor – not a pleasant experience. Fire is
uncomfortable. Anyone burn their skin before? It’s not fun and it’s not
something you voluntarily repeat if you are sane. But I suppose that is what it
takes to perfect us – to cut, melt, burn away the ugliness of our sin:
selfishness, idolatry, fear, impatience.
Diamonds
– Hawk Nelson
“Here
and now I’m in the fire, in above my head
Being held under the pressure, don’t know what will be left
But it’s here in the ashes
I’m finding treasure
Being held under the pressure, don’t know what will be left
But it’s here in the ashes
I’m finding treasure
He’s
making diamonds
Making diamonds
He’s making diamonds out of dust
He is refining
And in his timing
He’s making diamonds out of us
Making diamonds
He’s making diamonds out of dust
He is refining
And in his timing
He’s making diamonds out of us
I’ll
surrender to the power of being crushed by love
‘Til the beauty that was hidden isn’t covered up
It’s not what I hoped for
It’s something much better
‘Til the beauty that was hidden isn’t covered up
It’s not what I hoped for
It’s something much better
Oh
The Joy of the Lord
It will be my strength
When the pressure is on
He’s making Diamonds”
It will be my strength
When the pressure is on
He’s making Diamonds”
No comments:
Post a Comment