Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Happenings of Life. Des Moines. November. December. 2014.


The time here in Des Moines seems to have gone more quickly than any other rotation I’ve had so far. I’ve enjoyed my time in this city. I’ve had great roommates, wonderful preceptors, and some time to do some fun things.

Broadlawn's has been an interesting and enlightening place to work. It's been a good experience and I can't believe I only have one more week left.

Broadlawns
Home Sweet Home, for now.
Besides visiting the capitol building, I’ve also been able to indulge in some other local things recently.

A friend from Iowa City recommended a country- line-dance place, and I’ve been attending the advanced and beginner nights for the past 4 weeks. It’s been fun to get out and see how other places teach, learn new dances, and meet new people. Definitely gives me something to look forward to outside of work besides studying.

The bar where lessons are held.
Lessons at Miss Kitty's.
Of course, it wouldn’t be my life if I didn’t find the local public libraries and check them out. Des Moines has a partnership with Iowa City, I guess, so I was able to get a library card for their system while here. And now I officially have 5 active library cards: Jefferson City, Iowa City, Coralville, Cherokee, and Des Moines. I know. I need an intervention. I suppose there are worst things in life.

Books. Just 'cuz.
Recent reads this past month have included: Skipping Christmas (John Grisham), The Plain Truth (Jodi Picoult), and The Fault in Our Stars (John Green), Jesus > Religion (Jefferson Bethke). Currently reading:  LiveDead: The Story, Til We Have Faces (C.S. Lewis), Forgotten God (Francis Chan), and Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Brandon Sanderson).

One of the realities of being a grad student is coffee. It’s always great to find a coffee shop where one can study. Since I’ve been here, two of my haunts include Smokey Row coffee shop (which is super cute and quaint) and Caribou Coffee (mostly because it’s right down the street and we don’t have wi-fi in our apartment). One of these days I won’t drink so much caffeine. But that day, folks, is not today.

Yep, you guessed it. Smokey Row Coffee shop.
The inside of Smokey Row.
Also, I was told I needed to eat at Tasty Tacos while in Des Moines. Apparently, the general consensus is that they are super good. I’ve found one person I work with who disagrees and everyone tells him he’s crazy. So, today for lunch I decided to give it a try. They were right! The tacos were awesome.

Tasty Tacos. Yum!
In other news, we experienced our first snow in Iowa within the last couple weeks. My roomie and I went out for African food. We bought our tickets for Tanzania with 2 days in Paris for New Year's Eve/Day. I saw Mockingjay: Part 1 in theaters. I was able to go home for Thanksgiving. Got my visa application completed. Christmas music is in full swing. 
 
Snow, snow, snow.

Safari restaurant. African food from Somalia. 

Hello, Paris. And Tanzania. And Amsterdam. And Chicago.

Thanksgiving with the parents.
And my roommate and I got locked in our apartment the other night. Yep, that's right. Locked IN. You have no idea how ridiculous that sounded when I called maintenance. But apparently the spring in the dead bolt broke, and the lock therefore couldn't unlock. It took about 2 hours for them to "break in" and fix it.


And that’s it for now. Consider yourself updated.

No comments: