This Christmas break has been a wonderful refreshing time at the midway point in my clinical year. I've been able to visit with dear friends and soak in the the love from my family while visiting home this week. I'm always struck with how I couldn't have imagined a year ago that my life would look like it does now, and in another year I'll feel the exact same way about this coming year.
As I reflect on the past, I also look forward to the future. More specifically: the next month when I'll head out to Tanzania, Africa for a month-long elective rotation in international medicine.
I got to thinking about my expectations, and this is where it led:
"So, it’s two days until I step into a month-long whirlwind of cultural experiences: Paris, Kenya, Tanzania. What to expect? I always think it’s amazing how much you can change after living life for a month, so I thought it would be great to do a before and after. Here’s the before.
I’m expecting to be stretched out of my comfort zone.
Mishaps will happen, which will make the story that much more interesting. The
patients mostly (or only) speak Swahili. Time is stretchable. Resources are
limited. The hospitals will be open-air. I’m expecting to encounter poverty,
diseases easily treatable if they only had the resources, death,
starvation, HIV/AIDS. But I’m also expecting to find resiliency,
resourcefulness, compassion, and strength of the human spirit.
My evenings will probably be filled with less
electronic-based and more creative entertainment. I’m expecting to learn some Swahili, to come
back with sun-darkened skin, pictures of exotic animals, having tried new
foods, mosquito bites, stories. Possibly having taken bucket showers. I’m sure I’ll be
craving veggies and meat, and maybe a coffee. I’m hopeful to remain well – bringing antibiotics, hand sanitizer, soap; drinking bottled water – but know it's a distinct possibility that I may get sick.
As with previous travels, when I come back, I probably will
be jet lagged. I’ll think twice before drinking the water. I’ll be overwhelmed
by the abundance and materialism of America. I’ll get back and have the shock
of cold weather. It will be strange to drive again and I’ll question if I still
remember how to. It may take a bit of time and effort for me to re-adjust to
the good ol’ US of A.
But I’m sure at the end of a month, I’ll be even more
thankful for the experience. I’ll not regret my decision. I’ll be glad I dared
to do something so challenging and rewarding. My soul will sing praise to the
God who places this desire of the nations into my life."
Guess we'll find out if I'm right ;) And with that thought, best wishes for the Happiest of New Years to you and yours.

No comments:
Post a Comment