What have I learned and experienced these past few months?
Where to start?
This semester challenged me to recognize disease patterns
and then ask myself the next best step with testing, imaging, and treatment. As
we explored cardiac, renal, GI, surgery, orthopaedic, ob/gyn, cancer, and more,
I was constantly amazed at how incredibly intricate the human body is. I love
this career path I’ve chosen and the opportunity to pursue this education in
order to help other people.
Although this semester was lighter in comparison to the previous
two, it was by no means easy. Along with our major Foundations of Clinical
Practice (FCP IV) class, we also had a health ethics, law, and policy (HELP) class, scientific
literature course, and clinical lab course. Throughout the semester, we had
multiple patient encounters in the hospital (performing a history, physical
exam, and note write-up), learned to do blood draws, and practiced female- and
male-specific exams.
Life in Iowa included incredibly cold, snowy winters. I even
had to buy a warmer long, down coat to brave the elements. Not to mention,
dressing in 2-3 layers minimum every day in every way. I constantly forgot to
leave time to chip the ice from my windshield and sweep the snow from my car
when headed out for church, run errands, or meet up with someone. And I even
got parking tickets for failing to move my car every 48 hours when parked
curbside by my apartment. Apparently, the massive snow buildup gave me away.
All that being said, you know you’re in Iowa when people stop sporting their
coats when the weather is a balmy 30 degrees. And it’s official; I’m not a
winter gal.
| The snow's pretty though. |
Despite the school load, I’ve still remained involved in the
church nursery monthly, been an active participant in our young adult book club, and
completed p90x with a fellow student.
Other fun events this semester have included:
- Date nights with Kurt
- Valentine’s Day dinner and entertainment with Grad Group
- Crista Gala: our med school’s prom
- Karaoke and bubble tea with friends
- Attending a string quartet concert
- Enjoying a night out at the theater to watch Absurd Person Singular
- Exploring the Old Capitol building (finally)
- Ice skating
- Live country music and dancing
- Movies at the theater
- Wedding reception
- Chicken Lips at Graze (was told I needed to try them while in Iowa City)
- Easter egg dying and hunts
- Christian-growth conference
All in all, it was a great semester.
![]() |
| Valentine's Day Dinner and Crista Gala. |
| Easter egg-travaganza. |
After many months, we finally had five weeks of summer
break. And I have lived it up. First, a week in South Dakota exploring the
Black Hills and Badlands with Kurt. Next, a trip to Boston for sightseeing and the
annual AAPA conference. Finally, a trip to Jefferson City and Springfield to
visit family and friends. In the middle of all the travelling, I moved
apartments too with the help of some amazing guys.
| Hello, Rushmore. |
| Cannoli in Little Italy, Boston. |
As I prepare for the upcoming year of clinical rotations, I am slightly unnerved,
overwhelmed, and excited all at once. It’s amazing how much we’ve been able to
learn this past year, and I’m confident that this next one will be as
rewarding. Just gonna take it one step at a time.

No comments:
Post a Comment