Saturday, July 2, 2011

1 Peter 1:16

My heart is heavy with the hurt of those around me. Recently, I’ve been around those who are going through extremely difficult circumstances…and some don’t even know they are. It amazes me the terrible advice people give out to others and by which they live themselves. Although I can’t go into details for the protection and privacy of said people, I’ve witnessed the following: one who nearly died from drinking so much alcohol; another who advised her daughter just to live with her fiancé just to avoid making a possible mistake by marrying him; one who tolerates a live-in boyfriend who verbally destroys her self-esteem; another who is in the process of a divorce due to physical abuse; and yet another whose son wrecked his car the day he got his license and ended up as a trauma in the ER.

And these situations are only reflective of my co-workers. When it comes to patients, there are drug addicts, neglected children, women in domestic abuse rescue centers, the homeless, the hopeless, those diagnosed with cancer, couples facing miscarriages, and teenage girls with STDs. Many of these people are not responsible for the circumstances in which they find themselves; some are responsible and are either blind to the fact or in denial.

As a Christian striving to live a pure life, I feel as if I stick out like a sore thumb. My roommate and I have discussed this several times recently because she is in the same boat at her place of employment. As women who strive to live as Jesus did, we don’t have a lot in common with the world. Our experiences don’t include sex, drugs, drunkenness, rebellion, and crime. And therefore, we have little to offer in way of conversation…not that we’d care to share.

To me it’s not a badge of honor to not be able to remember a holiday because I was passed out drunk and doing things I normally wouldn’t do. It’s not a mark of pride to gamble away my money in Vegas or adopt a child with a lesbian partner or do shrooms and trip out. These are not the lofty act to which we are called. And I am not going to feel guilty that I have not gone down the rough, hard road of willful, sinful, disobedient living. We are called to be holy, even as God is holy. Some of these people claim to be heaven-bound, but there is doubt that they are striving to be all the God wants them to be.

My heart aches for them to know the fullness of Christ Jesus in their lives - to be filled to overflowing with divine purpose and joy in life. It is such a glorious thing to be reminded that amidst all the despair and darkness of the world, there is a light and a hope! God hears us when we pray; he will use us to bring glory to his name. And he’ll start right where we are.

No comments: