Friday, July 22, 2011

Baking Adventures :)

If I had to list some of the best perks of having our own apartment, they would include the following:

1. Dishwasher. No longer do we have to do all our dishes by hand as was the case in the dorms and my last apartment. Not that doing dishes by hand isn’t exactly fun…Megan and I have bonded over a dishful of soap and not-so-pristine plates and silverware, but it is wonderful to have the option of just loading up the appliance, throwing a tablet of cleaning powder in the compartment, and turning the knob to begin the transformation process :)

2. Washer and Dryer. In the same category of cleanliness, there is the washer and dryer. Although we are currently renting the appliances (therefore still having to pay for laundry), it is wonderfully convenient to have these two machines in our apartment. We can do laundry whenever we want to, as many times a week as we need to, and don’t have to lug our clothes up and down three flights of stairs anymore. I seem especially blessed to have usually lived on the third floor, and I don’t miss those treks to the laundry room at all.

3. Stove. And last but not least is the perk of having a stove/oven. I’ve not always enjoyed cooking, but for as long as I can remember I’ve loved baking. This summer, Megan and I have experimented with several different recipes. Our co-workers love us because we are constantly bringing in our latest attempt to satisfy our sugar-cravings. Since moving in, we have always had some delicious dessert lying around waiting to be eaten. And of course, we aren’t eating them all by ourselves! We’ve made coffee cake, Tiramisu layer cake, carrot cake, chocolate molten cake, peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies, cheesecake, Amish Friendship Bread, orange/maple scones, blueberry/white chocolate scones, cappuccino muffins, and cinnamon rolls just to name a few. I thought I’d share some of our successes with you. These were definitely some recipes we will make again for years to come :)



Cappuccino Muffins


(recipe: Corrine Lowenberg)




2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
2 ½ t. baking powder
1 T. instant coffee
½ t. salt
½ t. cinnamon

1 cup milk
½ cup melted butter, cooled
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the melted and cooled butter, egg, milk and vanilla.
Blend lightly together. Add the chocolate chips. Put in greased muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 15-18 muffins.



Chocolate Molten Pudding Cake



(kraftrecipes.com)



1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food cake mix
1 pkg. (12 oz.) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks, divided
3 cups cold milk
2 pkg. (4-serving size each) Chocolate Instant Pudding
1/3 cup Italian Cappuccino mix
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Stir in half of the chocolate chunks. Pour into greased 13x9-inch baking dish or shallow casserole dish; set aside.

POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes, flavored instant coffee and cinnamon. Beat with wire whisk 1 min. or until well blended. Pour over cake batter in center of pan; sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chunks.

BAKE 1 hour or until cake appears baked in the center. Cool slightly.

No comments: