Sunday, April 10, 2011

I am 22, Going on 23...

April. 10. 2011.

It’s been a year since April 10, 2010. And that’s when I decided I would try to do 22 new things throughout my 22nd year of life. This past year has been full of huge changes, but I’ve also gotten to experience many new “little” things. Some of the things I originally put on the list I wasn’t able to complete so they will roll over to my life-list, but let me relate the 22 things I did do.


1. Eat sushi.
To celebrate my 22nd birthday, some friends and I went to one of the best places in Springfield for sushi – Kai. Its downtown location makes the restaurant unique, and the funky, techno atmosphere makes it fun. I loved what I ate and was happy to have taken the plunge into trying raw seafood.

2. Get cartilage pierced.


My sister and I decided we would get our cartilages pierced. Originally, I had wanted to get it done for my 21st birthday, but the timing didn’t work out…so a year later we finally did it. We went to Kaleidoscope which offered the best type of piercing – threading – and an experienced staff of professional piercers/tattoo artists.


3. Have a manicure and pedicure done.


This one was accomplished in two settings. I had my manicure done the day of my birthday here in Springfield, and I had the pedicure done in Nairobi, Kenya at the Country Club. Both were delightfully girly and relaxing. I remember sharing with a fellow customer when I had my manicure done that I was working on experiencing 22 new things for my 22nd birthday, and she told me she thought it was a lovely idea. She just didn’t know if she should start at 40-something years old :)


4. Go tanning.

Another thing accomplished the day of my birthday. Several friends and I signed up for a free week of tanning at Hawaiian Sun. We were impressed with their customer service and knowledge about the process so had a great experience using their facilities. All in all, it was wonderful…just one sunburn and a small amount of time shaved off my life for excess UV exposure. Haha.


5. Travel the west coast.


Multnomah Falls, OR:



Los Angeles, Walk of Fame:


Concert choir toured the western part of the United States for 3 weeks last summer and we were able to experience many amazing places, meet new people, and grow in our abilities. Some of the most memorable places we visited included the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX; the strip in Las Vegas, NV; the Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, CA; Chinatown in San Francisco, CA; the Oregon coast and Multnomah Falls; Boise, ID; and Salt Lake City, UT.


6. Rent an apartment.
This past summer I roomed with one of my best friends in a one-bedroom apartment. We had many adventures living there during that time, but were glad to move out and back into the dorms once school started. After graduating from college, I moved in with 3 other girls into an apartment. This particular apartment has truly felt like a home and is certainly an upgrade from the one before it.

7. Engage in a prank war.


Towards the end of spring semester, several of us girls and a few guys became wrapped up in mischievous behavior ;) This included many stunts with live animals, some glow-in-the-dark paint, and “eligibility” flyers up around campus. So. Much. Fun.


8. Become certified in CPR.
This one was accomplished free of charge as part of my technician requirements for working at the hospital. I’ve wanted to become certified for several years now, and loved being required to become so to work where I do.

9. Visit Kenya.

After a year of planning, I was able to spend Christmas break with one of my best friends in Nairobi where she grew up and her family still lives. This trip in itself afforded many new opportunities and has been one of the best trips of my life. I learned so much about another culture, was able to help with medical clinics, and had a firsthand view of missionary life.

10. Ride a motorcycle.


Thanks to another friend of mine who owns a motorcycle and loves to drive people around on it, I was able to check this one off the list. It took a little bit to get used to how to lean with the turns and jive with the driver, but it was so much fun. Highway riding was a little rough, and I learned quickly that I needed to wear a t-shirt so as not to have my more girly shirts balloon out with the wind, but I really enjoyed it overall.


11. Read 52 books in one year.


This one I didn’t completely attain. I only read 31 books. Several were worth it, others not so much. The main goal I had was to broaden my horizons by choosing different genres as well as educating myself in other people’s experiences by reading biographies.


12. Eat Ethiopian food. Ruthie and I planned a trip to the nearest restaurant, which was 3 hours away, and made a day of it in Kansas City. The food was absolutely delicious although it doesn’t necessarily look so. Then when we were in Kenya, we ate Ethiopian again at her favorite place – super awesome.


13. Swim in the ocean.

Pacific:Atlantic:
First the Pacific in May, which was freezing. Then the Atlantic in August, which was nearly as freezing. Both were delightful though. One of the most memorable parts of these two swims was the surprise of the saltiness of the water. My eyes stung, my lungs hurt, and my mouth was parched by the end, but it was totally worth it.


14. Shadow in the ER.


This one quickly changed from “shadow” to “work.” Little did I know last year that I would be working in the ER now, but I am. And I love it. It’s always interesting, I’m never bored, and I’m surrounded by medical professionals in their element. With this position comes many new experiences: seeing angiograms, observing the organized chaos of code blues, seeing someone defibrillated, watching suturing and stapling, observing CTs, ultrasounds, and x-rays, and preparing a body for the morgue.


15. Go to Jr/Sr Banquet.

Asked a friend to go, wore the dress, had my hair fixed, and immensely enjoyed the evening. My date was only too thoughtful to buy me a corsage, be attentive to me all night, and really be a gentleman. It was my last chance to go, and I’m glad I did.

16. Ask someone to Spring Fling.


Had a wonderful time coming up with an invite, deciphering the response, brainstorming for costumes, and attending the show. The theme was Circus, and we doubled with some friends to go as Lions, Tigers, and Bears. Oh my!



On a side note, I was also asked to Harvest Fest for the first time. The theme was Out of this World and we went as constellations: Virgo and Orion.



17. Feed a giraffe from my mouth.


While in Nairobi, we visited a giraffe park. Ever since I knew you could feed a giraffe with your mouth, I had wanted to do it. So, I did. It was slightly disturbing thinking about that huge, slobbery tongue swiping nearly my entire face, but I summoned up the guts, stuck the pellet in my mouth, and braced myself for the kiss. It basically felt like a cat’s tongue – rough – only much larger. And of course I had to do it several times for a good picture ;)


18. Tour a tea plantation.

While in Kenya, Ruthie’s family, some friends, and I made a girls' day out of visiting the tea plantation. We were able to taste the tea, tour the fields, and had a lovely luncheon on the lawn to wrap up the afternoon.

19. Ride a trolley in San Francisco.

We walked all over San Francisco to save money, up and down the hills…but mostly up. On the way back to the bay, though, we were just too tired to walk any further. So, we hopped on a trolley, and in a few minutes, we were back again. I’ve always thought it would be cool to ride one…and now I have.

20. Watch the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.

Our layover from Kenya to the States allowed us to explore London for a few hours. So, before we left Kenya, we mapped out all the places we wanted to see and visit. One of the main attractions was watching the guard change at the Palace. We arrived to join a huge group at the gates, struggled for a spot to see, and waited. Then they came…marching down the street like a fanfarish parade. The ceremony took about an hour. It was such an interesting experience to know I was watching something that thousands of people come to see and has such historical meaning.

21. Get involved with the ELI program at MSU.

The English Language Institute pairs up foreign-speaking students studying English at MSU with native-born speakers. For several years, I’ve been wanting to get involved, but now I actually have time. My girl is Vietnamese, and it’s been such a rewarding experience to learn about her culture, invest in her English-speaking growth, and share my American culture with her. Another new thing that’s come from this friendship is trying Vietnamese food for the first time – Pho.

22. Graduate from college.

It’s still a little hard to believe, but I’ve come to the end of my journey as a student at Evangel. I even have the diploma to prove it. After 4.5 years of dedicated study, learning both from books and life, and making memories, I am done. This May I will walk in the ceremony and receive honors for my work. It’s just another big change in my changing life. In another year, who knows what I’ll have been able to experience - meeting people, visiting places, learning new things. There are still so many things I want to do in life. I think I’ll be surprised where God takes me in the coming years, but I’m ready for Him to bring it on!

No comments: