Sunday, April 17, 2011

Operation "Life Organization"

My day got off on the wrong track from the moment I awoke....to the sound of a text message from my sister asking me if I was at church yet. I was still in bed.

Recently, I've been re-evaluating the direction of my life. You know, facing those hard questions we all know are there but don't really want to look in the face. Like 1) What is my purpose? 2) Am I making a difference in the world? 3) Do I like who I am becoming? 4) What are my priorities and what should they be?

After much soul-searching, thoughtful prayer, and conversations with some trusted friends and family members, I'm beginning to see the next steps I need to be taking.

Thus, Operation "Life Organization" has begun. I've always been one for organizing anything and everything. I wouldn't label myself as OCD, but ever since I was 3 years old, my parents have caught me secretly cleaning my room, organizing our desk drawers, and helping clean out all my family members' closets if requested :)

The first step tonight was to organize my room. This includes the storage containers, the books shelves, and the folders of mementos from every major vacation/trip in the last 4 years. There's something freeing about purging the trash, keeping the good, and knowing where things are.

The next step is to organize my finances. Continue keeping track of my expenses and income, setting money aside to pay off my student loans as quickly as possible, and reserving funds for missions giving. It's important to keep track of my money - we're called to be good stewards of our money, therefore I need to be vigilant in this area.

Continuing down the list to academic organization, I have decided to take the GRE and the MCAT. Tonight I'll make a study plan to prepare for these 2 life-directing tests. My goal is to have all my PA application stuff organized by the middle of May and take the GRE then. The MCAT will require more time and I'm aiming toward the end of July/beginning of August.

Spiritually, I haven't been the most diligent. And I can tell it's affecting every part of me. So, I'm going to plan to read through the New Testament a book at a time. There have also been a couple of biographies I've been wanting to read of great Christian leaders that I will make an effort to finish. I consider reading these biographies a form of mentorship from those who have persevered and made a difference for Jesus during their lives. Finally, I am making a prayer list for needs of those around me as well as hurting people in the world. By focusing on others rather than myself, I will be able to become more like Jesus.

With regards to music, I am striving to be faithful to practicing for the students I accompany. They deserve only my best and it's important for me to keep that standard in mind. It's so easy for me to become overwhelmed with the demands of life and work, but I'm going to make an effort not to become so.

And lastly, I'm organizing memories from my college years for graduation. I think it's helpful to see where you've come from so you can know where you're going. It's incredible the opportunities I've had while at Evangel to grow, learn, and experience things I never knew or had done before. The impact of my time there has made a huge impression on me lately.

My priorities are shifting.

I'm learning that it's more important to
-glorify God
-be financially responsible
-pursue education
-be physically fit

than to
-live for myself
-splurge on materialistic items
-be entertained by media
-not give thought to things that affect my body

As I was cleaning out my papers tonight, I ran across a fortune from a fortune cookie I had saved; I guess I thought it was intriguing. Want to know what it said? "A bold and dashing adventure is in your future." I'm excited to see where these changes will take me in the next couple weeks.

No comments: