Thursday, March 31, 2011

Truths from the Emergency Room

It’s been nearly three weeks since I’ve finished my training and been on my own in the ER. These last three weeks have taught me many things – things my trainers could not teach me but only experience could. When people find out I work in the ER, the first question they ask is if I like it. And I do. Although it’s physically challenging, I love the variety and fast pace the department embodies. Each day I have no idea what I’ll encounter, which makes it interesting.

A few truths I’ve come to see since my time in the ER are as follow:

1. Don’t take it personally. I received this advice the first night I had orientation in the ER. My education supervisor let us know that this department was stressful and sometimes didn’t allow for niceties when it came to communication. I’ve found that most of my co-workers are quite pleasant, but if I had not been warned beforehand, it would not have been good. You see, I’m a people-pleaser by nature. I’m also a type-A perfectionist. I don’t like to disappoint. When I make mistakes and get called out on them, I just have to remember not to take it personally. Learn from it and move on. Also, when nurses have had awful encounters with patients, doctors are frazzled and overwhelmed, and patients and their families are the furthest things from saints, I have to let it roll off my back.

2. Every person is human. It doesn’t matter what your age, gender, career, family situation, location of residence, or education level, every person is mortal. We don’t live forever in our earthly bodies, and we all can be placed in a situation of dependence. When I was little, I remember the president of the United States placing temporary power into the VP’s hands while he underwent a colonoscopy…and I remember thinking it strange that such a private medical concern should be public knowledge. It just goes to prove, though, that it doesn’t matter who you are, medical concerns affect us all. Keeping this in mind helps me be able to relate to everyone on an equal plane; each person is worthy of the best care possible and I am able to respect each patient as a person by not having my perspective clouded with pre-conceived notions. Usually I show up to a room not even aware of the reason the patient is in the ER. I’m just there to serve in whatever way I can.

3. Small things matter. In a world where a one-digit difference on a code pulls up Suzy instead of Johnny, little aspects make it or break it. I’ve found that it’s important to check the O2 tanks under the beds so as not to run out on a transport, include a middle initial on an EKG, clean under the bed so as not to leave trash or objects that could hurt someone if the bed is placed in a psychiatric room, change the battery in my phone at the beginning of the shift, and let people know when I’m going to lunch. I’ve found that by doing my tasks well and to the best of my ability, my co-workers are beginning to trust me. I know that no one else will have to pick up the slack because of my inattention.

4. I love the field of medicine. In the midst of all the messiness and complexities of our patients’ lives, there lies one common thing: they have a problem. Sometimes the problem is the body, sometimes the mind, and sometimes the spirit – or a combination of these. Although St. John's is better than other hospitals about acknowledging the spirit due to its Catholic heritage, the other two receive more attention. I love that there are the few brave, dedicated men and women who have pursued the study necessary to understand the body. They can look at a situation with an underlying medical problem, recognize that problem, and know how to treat it. Some of the interesting procedures I’ve been able to watch include lumbar punctures, stapling head wounds, cath lab procedures, splinting, CPR (code blues), CTs, X-rays, and ultrasounds. I’m continually learning new things about the body, it thrills my soul, and I know I’m in the right place at this point in my life.

So, that’s what I’ve been up to these last few weeks. I’m hoping as time goes by to earn the doctors’ friendship and be able to take on more of a student-mentor relationship with them. For now, I will continue to be faithful in the small things at work, respect my patients and co-workers, and strive to be a light for my Savior. There are so many opportunities to do so.

With that being said, I’ll leave you with the verse I’ve taken to heart recently. Psalms 118:14 – The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation (NIV). Truly, he is what keeps me going in this physically challenging job. He is the joy of my heart and the One my soul worships with both audible and inaudible singing. And he is redeeming me day by day; a sinner in need of mercy and grace being transformed into the image of Jesus and his righteousness.

No comments: