Recently I’ve been reflecting on the difference a few months can make. I was just relating to a friend today how things I was unsure of or concerned about have resolved themselves. Last November, at a point in my life when I was completely overwhelmed, I went to talk to my choir director. She listened to me as I poured out my concerns, encouraged me in my decision to fast and pray for God’s direction, and kept me in her prayers as well. As of two weeks ago, all of the issues had an answer. But I didn’t know what those answers would be in middle of November 2010…
My reason in sharing this difficult time in my life is to encourage you in your difficult times. That time may be now or in the future, but either way I can attest to God’s faithfulness. It’s hard and goes against our human nature to trust him. It feels so much better to be able to take the situation into our own hands and DO something about it. But that’s the worst thing we could do.
Let me fill you in on what I was facing just a few months ago.
1. School – I was coming up on finals, and I only had one more round of tests in which to maintain my perfect GPA. This caused a lot of self-induced stress. Then I also had to study for the algebra CLEP test that I had waited 4.5 years to take. (Side note: I literally took the test on my last day of college; the day I passed the CLEP is the date on my diploma for graduation.)
2. Employment – I knew I needed a job for when I came back after break, but I honestly didn’t have time to submit applications. I felt like I had no connections to people here in the medical field, so I didn’t even really know where to start.
3. Finances/Loans – Not only did I want to get a job in the medical field for experience, I needed a job to help pay for an apartment and bills. Plus, loan repayments would begin 6 months after graduation.
4. Apartment – There were a few other girls and I who were thinking of getting an apartment together, but only one of us had any assurance of income (and her’s was through student loans because of student teaching). I knew I wanted to stay in Springfield, but all of us were unsure of our situations, so it was stressful.
5. Relationship – I was at a point where I was unsure of the direction of a special and significant relationship in my life. I desperately needed God’s wisdom and guidance in this area.
On top of all the major changes that come with ending one stage of life and beginning another, I also had to think about moving my dorm possessions out of my room before break (but not having anywhere to store them) and traveling to Kenya and being out of the country for nearly 4 weeks.
And, now, let me relate how these needs were met. The two other girls (besides the student teacher) finally heard back from their interviews and were hired! We decided to sign a 6-month apartment lease. I submitted many applications to the two hospitals here and received a call from one for an interview, which I attended the week before school ended with no guarantee of knowing if I’d receive the position until several weeks later. I passed my finals with A’s, took and passed my CLEP, got all of my dorm room stuff moved (thanks to a friend) into my suitemate’s room to store during Christmas, made it to Kenya safe and sound, and had a wonderful time while there during break.
While in Kenya, I would occasionally have periods of time when I would begin to panic about my situation back in the States when I would return. My bank account was looking pretty slim, I had signed the apartment lease, and I didn’t have a job. But honestly, the only thing I could DO about it was trust God. I literally couldn’t call the hospital to follow up since I was in a different country. I also only had a first name of the person who had interviewed me so I didn’t even know who to call. It was a great time of relying on my faith in my Creator. He had a good plan for me whether I could see how things would work out or not.
The night we got back to the States I couldn’t sleep because of jet lag. Although I had checked my texts once back, I didn’t see that I had any voicemails to check. While lying there in bed not able to sleep, thinking about the huge job ahead of me of moving my stuff to the new apartment and needing to follow up with the hospital, I had the feeling to check my messages. What do you know, I had a voicemail on my phone offering me the job for which I had interviewed. Such relief!
And the final thing – the relationship – yeah, that one was finally resolved 2 weeks ago. It’s been difficult to lose the attention and affection of one of my closest friends, but I know time will make it easier. And it’s caused me to be reminded that human love cannot fully satisfy our longings – only God can. Yesterday I was at a women’s rally, and the speaker made an illuminating remark – God is love and we were made in the image of God. Therefore, we can were created with the desire and ability to embrace his love. And perfect love is many things: patient, kind, not envious or easily wronged, always hopeful and perseverant. God’s love never fails.
So, that’s my story. It’s amazing how much can change in 3 months. All of my concerns have been met; some in ways I would have never seen or expected. Although I’m not sure exactly why I felt impressed to write this post, I did feel strongly that I should. Maybe it’s for you to be encouraged. Or perhaps it’s for myself – to be able to see God’s past work in my life so that I can be encouraged to trust him with my future now. Either way, my hope is that you will be able to see that not every difficult thing lasts for a lifetime. God is faithful. You can rely on him for your answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment