So, what’s new in the life?
Well, I’m back from Peru! Which is another story for another blog...
Also, I’m officially another year older. And this time it’s also a new decade milestone. This year I decided to not take off work my actual birthday because, let’s face it, it’s no fun to spend the day alone while all one’s family is out of state and all one’s friends are gainfully employed and at work. The weekend prior to the big day, I went home to spend time with my parents celebrating. After all, they are the reason we are able to celebrate the day anyway. Birthday festivities included going to the movies to see God’s Not Dead: A Light in the Darkness, lunch at El Jimador eating delicious Mexican food and consuming amazing chips and salsa, and making the traditional Baston chocolate cake. (The day after my birthday two friends and I celebrated by getting sushi for dinner!)
The entire weekend was not roses and butterflies though. Our sweet, faithful golden retriever Molly lived her last days. It is incredibly hard to have to part with a pet who has become so entwined with the life of the family she is practically one of us. She was nearly 15 years old, which is quite the life for a purebred. We miss her immensely, but I am glad I was able to be there for her last days and to support my parents with their loss.
I’m still chipping away at two books I’m reading relating to how technology, specifically our phone, is influencing our personal and sociological lives. The first is called 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You by Tony Reinke and written from a Christian worldview. The second is an audiobook called Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by Sherry Turkle. I first heard about this book from Jefferson Benthke, a christian author and speaker who reads voraciously and recommended this title. It’s research is complementary and presented from a more “nonreligious” point-of-view.
What am I listening to? My most recent fave is from the new Hillsong album, Wonder. The song is “So Will I (100 Billion X)” and the lyrics are profound in a poetic way. Check it out:
Work has finally gotten over the peak of the awful winter season of crazy flu. We’re starting to settle into the spring season of allergies and injuries although it has snowed twice this week, so it’s still a little premature to use the term “spring.” Speaking of weather, here are a few fun/painful pics I came across in my social media feed earlier this week. So accurate.
Getting to the end of the “school year” of both my BSF Bible study in Romans and the Sunday afternoon Perspectives course at Grace. Still slowly, but surely, advancing with cello lessons, and the Hebrews Bible study.
A few exciting upcoming events in the next few weeks on my calendar!
And with that, consider yourself updated for now.
- Secret Church Simulcast at Parkview Church
- Tulip Time in Pella, Iowa
- Crescent Project: Without Borders in Sioux Falls, SD
- Visit to North Carolina see my sister, brother in law, and niece!







No comments:
Post a Comment