What do I want in life? What are my dreams and desires? They
seem to change over time. Looking back on landmarks of my life, I can see the
changes. You know those questionnaires you fill out about what you like and
where you hope to be in 5 or 10 years? Yeah, well those are fun to review
occasionally. It’s also enlightening to take a trip down memory lane.
Ten years ago, I was getting ready to graduate from high
school. It was the week before my 18th birthday – which my sister
celebrated by throwing a surprise party. We played laser tag. I was Flo in the
homeschool dinner theater and rocked out oldies on the keyboard in our “band.”
I played at my last Fine Arts Festival. I staffed TeenPact and worked at
Spanish camp and was in the Stained Glass Theater’s sequel – Return to Belle
Plains. I was having senior pictures taken and pondering if I really actually
wanted to leave home and go to college in the fall.
| My 18th birthday. |
| My first cell phone! I thought this was the coolest thing. |
And then looking back five years ago, I was finished with
college. I had taken a trip to Kenya for three weeks to celebrate being done
and then started my job as a technician in the ER in January. I was living with
three other lovely ladies from Evangel who were also done with or finishing
their college careers. I was stressing out over whether to apply to PA school
or med school. I was about to turn 23 years old.
| My 23rd birthday. |
| My 23rd birthday. |
![]() |
| Graduation from Evangel with my bachelor's degree. |
In some ways, things are still the same. I’m still trying to
“figure out life.” I’m still striving to become a better person. I’m still
experiencing huge changes. This time around, I’m looking at my 28th
birthday around the corner. One more week to make the most of my 27th
year of life. I’ve finished graduate school and have a “big girl job” as a
physician assistant. I’m still in the infancy of my career.
| Easter Sunday, March 27, 2016. |
The past two sets of 5 years have held new phases of life
academically. Along with those phases have been other life changes, growth, locations.
Although I don’t anticipate a new formal academic phase these new 5 years, I do
know I won’t ever stop learning in the career I have chosen. Location-wise, it’s
hard to know where I’ll be.
Other goals for the next five years include: Paying off my
car. Paying off my student loans. Making a dent toward saving for a house.
Having a garden. Visiting at least one more state on my to-visit list. Going on
at least one medical mission trip. Becoming more like Jesus. Spending time in
reading His word and praying. Sponsoring a child internationally. Investing in
the community – of my city and my church. Buying a keyboard. Having braces to
correct my teeth. Growing in relationships, hopefully including marriage and
kids.
Goals change with each stage. Priorities shift. People come
in and out of one’s life. Life offers new opportunities and introduces you to
things which you didn’t even know existed. Here’s to the next 5 years of
learning, changing, and living.

No comments:
Post a Comment