The week in review:
As I was scrolling through my Facebook feed this week, I
noticed a video someone posted of Brigham Young University Noteworthy (female
acapella) of Amazing Grace. Must say it’s been my jam this week. Check it out
HERE. (I hardly ever buy music on iTunes, but I did with this one,
which just goes to show it’s I think it’s worth a listen.)
One day earlier this week, I saw 33 patients by myself. Manageable
is about 20 or so. It was a 12-hour turned 16-hour shift. Needless to say, it
was a long day. Welcome to being in the medical field, right?
![]() |
| Kind of how I felt when I had to give an epi-pen this week. |
On a more positive
note, I kinda love making new foods, which I got to do this week. And it’s
about 10 times more fun when I have someone to eat with me. It’s starting to
get chillier here in Iowa, so I pulled up my handy Pinterest board labeled “fall
yum” and picked a recipe I had never made – slow cooker creamy tortellini, spinach, and chicken soup. So yum! Panera tomato basil bread and some homemade pumpkin pie ice cream rounded out the meal.
A year ago, my mom mentioned that I would love a new show on
CBS. Now, at the time I was in school and had about zero extra time to spend
watching TV. However, I checked it out one evening and then had to catch up over
the next few days on the next 5 episodes that were already released online. The
show? Scorpion – a team of geniuses who pair up with Homeland Security to solve
end-of-the-nation problems in 40-some minutes with a happily-ever-after-ending
each episode. I also kinda love that show. So, yeah, that also happened this
week. Since I don’t have TV, I always have to wait at least one day until it’s
posted online. It’s so hard waiting when I’ve already been primed by my family
that it’s “so good and suspenseful this week.” Every. Single. Week. Haha :)
Another cool thing that happened this week was participating in V.I.S.T. (violent
incident survival training) for work. When I worked in the ER, we had a similar
class which incorporated self-defense for health care professionals - but that's been several years back now and it's always good to have a refresher course. As we watched and
listened to the presentation, the question came up of whether you would be
prepared to kill someone if you had no other option to survive? Now, that’s a
sobering thought. Picture this, you wrestle the gun from the shooter and he
pulls another one on you. What do you do? Could you live with yourself if you
shot someone? Hard questions. But ones worth thinking through. Also, just wanna
mention that my aversion to sitting with my back to the room has a warranted
basis – cops hate it too. They are always noting exits, obstacles, human
behavior. Maybe I went into the wrong career? ;)
And to round out the week, I’m wrapping up my next two
evenings with book club discussions. Tonight includes "peace, ping-pong and pizza" and
tomorrow includes a classic vampire movie for our discussion on Dracula. Which
brings me to the topic of Halloween – I’m going with some friends and we’re all
dressing according to a theme. Working on my costume today. If you’re curious, I’ll
just leave this pic here for your viewing pleasure…
Until next time. Consider yourself updated.






No comments:
Post a Comment