Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Livin' Life

It’s that time of year again, when the leaves start changing color and the breeze signals that fall is here. Iowa City has turned into a vast display of flaming oranges, reds, and yellows. Every year I think of the poem, “Come, Little Leaves” and this year is no different. In the spirit of all things fall, I’ve been consuming entirely too many pumpkin-flavored foods, sleeping with the windows open, enjoying bonfires, s'mores, wagon rides, and cornmazes, and generally reveling in sweater and boot weather.

Double-date to the Cornmaze
Not only am I enjoying these fall activities, but we decided in our book club to read Dracula and meet to discuss before Halloween. It’s been on my to-read list for quite some time, and my English-trained roomie loves it, so I figured it would be worth actually reading this year. So far, it’s been quite interesting. Much better than the Twilight series ;) 

After several weeks on my own at work, I’m finally feeling somewhat adequate. It’s been a good challenge taking on the role of provider, and I’m enjoying what I’m doing. And on an entirely selfish note, it’s wonderful to finally have a paycheck again. One of the more interesting things that I have experienced is diagnosing several cases of mumps*. Apparently it’s going around…
 
 A little over a week ago, I was able to go cheer on some friends at the Rescue Run 5K in Iowa City. The race benefited Rapha House – which helps girls rescued out of human trafficking – and I had promoted it with our graduate group at church. Several friends came out for the event, which made me quite happy to see others joining in the cause for something so dear to my heart. Unfortunately, the week before the big day I came down with a nasty virus. With my career and work environment, it was only a matter of when, not if. I couldn’t talking without coughing, let alone run. So, I decided to cheer for the runners at the start and finish line, calling it a good morning.
 And that’s a short update on life.
*If you’re a nerd like I am or possibly just insanely curious and want to know a tad bit more about mumps, check out the following info:
The mumps virus is spread from person-to-person by respiratory droplets (for example, when you sneeze) or by direct contact with items that have been contaminated with infected saliva. The risk for spreading the virus increases the longer a person remains in close contact with someone who has the mumps. When a person is ill with mumps, he or she should avoid contact with others from the time of diagnosis until at least five days after the onset of parotitis (swollen glands) by staying home from work or school and staying in a separate room, if possible. Mumps most commonly occur in children between the ages of 2 and 12 who have not been vaccinated against the disease. However, the infection can occur at any age. The incubation period is on average 16 to 18 days, but can range from 12 to 25 days.
The best way to protect yourself and others is to receive two doses of the MMR vaccine. Practicing good hand hygiene, not sharing drinking or eating utensils, and limiting contact with infected people also helps reduce the spread of the disease.

No comments: