Oh, Iowa City. In Iowa State. Divided by the Iowa River. Home of Iowans.
And now, my home sweet home.
The hardest thing I’ve encountered since moving to Iowa City
hasn’t been living alone. It hasn’t been moving a desk by myself in my tiny
two-door Ford Escort and taking almost 2 hours to put said desk back together
again. It hasn’t even been trying to get to know my new family of 24 PA students
on a crash-course timeline of 2.5 days before the intensity of coursework
begins. The hardest thing I’ve encountered has to do with the worst thing about
Iowa City.
![]() |
| The Iowa City public bus routes. |
The worst thing about Iowa City is its lack of parking...which
in turn means figuring out the bus system. Now, never living in a town where I’ve
had to rely on public transportation, I’ve had to embrace a steep learning curve
in this area. Give me a road map or a subway route any day. I feel like all the
knowledge and intelligence in my life flees when it comes to figuring out bus
schedules. How to read the route? When the bus stops? Is the intersection
listed where the bus stops or just passes? And once I get to my final
destination (preferably on time), how in the world do I get back home? Do the
buses run at the time time each day? How late do they run in the evening? Which
buses run on weekends? Can I take more than one bus for the same route? How do I remember when to transfer if I need to switch routes? And the questions go on and on...
It’s a little overwhelming for me. But, after walking to the
Campus Transportation office (since there was nowhere to park I had to walk)
and talking to the employees there (who in turn talked to the city public transportation
people), I finally bought a pass and figured out how to get home from that location.
Two days later, I was headed to the bus stop at the end of the street hoping
that a bus would stop when the internet said it would so that I could make it
to my first day of orientation on time. It did.
![]() |
| The awesome text message system that tells you when the next bus from a certain route will be at the stop you request in formation on. |
Once on the bus, there are even more confusing issues. Like
where to sit. On the side? (Which I've found doesn't help motion sickness in the slightest.) Facing forward in the front? On the platform in the
back? And then you have to deal with pulling the rope to signal that you want
to stop. But not too soon or you get the stop ahead of you. Not too late or
they won’t stop. And at that point I had no idea where the stops even were.
Aagh! Fortunately, I was able to stop where I needed and made it to class on
time. When I left at the end of the day to catch the bus back home, it was pouring down
rain. At that point, I was certainly thankful to have my bus pass and to not have to walk home
drenched, even though I still acknowledge a love-hate relationship with this part of my new life.
Since Wednesday, I’ve ridden the bus to and from class two
more times. However, Friday on the way home, I grabbed the first bus that came
by that I thought was on my route. A stop before the one I needed to get off,
the bus turned in a direction not toward my stop. Unfortunately, I had remembered
the route incorrectly. The bus driver was kind enough to drop me at the next
intersection though and I had a pleasant walk home in the beautiful sunshine. I
guess 2 out of 3 times isn’t too bad.
![]() |
| The bus that didn't get me home. |
In relation to the worst thing about Iowa City is the best
thing about Iowa City. If I had to pick two words to describe Iowa City they
wouldn’t be Hawkeyes and hospitals (although those two things are huge here).
It wouldn’t even be young and educated (which is true – Iowa City is one of the
most educated population percentage-wise in the US and there are 30,000
students at the University). The two words I would choose are active and
diverse. And I especially love how active the city is. Right from the start, I
noticed the large number of people out running, walking, biking, and skateboarding.
I’ve never lived in a city this friendly to people traveling by foot. There are
endless outdoor opportunities. Sidewalks and bike paths traverse the city.
Pedestrian walkways cross the river. The nature trails, parks, and wilderness
trails serve to foster and embrace the city’s activity.
![]() |
| Trails like this one run through the city and surrounding areas. |
I went for a 4-mile
run/walk yesterday and got to really know the city. There’s nothing quite like
getting to know somewhere than to travel those miles by foot. I’m putting my
mark on this place. Letting the paths become part of my history here. Getting
the dirt in my treads, sweating up the hills, breathing in the oxygen, pounding
the pavement. IC is becoming home. I can’t wait to explore more of it in the
weeks and months to come. Although the coming days will be filled with intense
coursework and studying, I’m determined to not completely lose myself in
academic learning. I’m wanting to take time to develop friendships, try new
things, and explore the cool places this city and region have to offer.
![]() |
| Overhead view of the University part of IC. In the right foreground is the Hawkeye Stadium, which I pass everyday on my way to school. Can't wait for game day traffic! Haha! Actually I can. |
Hopefully when I look back on my time here, I’ll have no regrets about living.






No comments:
Post a Comment