Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Chronicles of IC

So, today was Day 1 – Day 1 of 750-something Days. But who’s counting? ;) We arrived for orientation bright and early this morning. The day consisted mostly of introductions among the faculty/staff and students, some paperwork, reviewing the student handbook, ID badges, White Coat photos taken, lunch with 2nd year PA students, a student panel discussing the next few years (especially from their significant other/spouse’s point of view), and presentations about international clinical opportunities. My new family of 25 classmates began to get to know each other today…I can only imagine how close we will be after the summer semester of intense classes, tremendous stress, and incredible learning together.

I’m super impressed with the organization of the program, the quality of the students they chose, the friendliness of the staff, and the opportunities available here. However, they did lie to me already – whether directly or indirectly. They told me to hit the ground running, not to get behind in studies, seek help if I even feel like I’m struggling to keep up, and to study everything every day. Yet, I have no homework tonight. What up with that? Not that I'm complaining. Hehe. Maybe the homework and craziness begins next week after orientation is over. I'll just embrace and enjoy it for now.

Since I’ve moved to Iowa City, I’ve had a week to myself to get settled, organized, and prepared for the upcoming semesters. During that time, I’ve also made some discoveries (or rediscoveries) which I’ve kept a record of in order to share.

Second floor peeps.  I’m used to living on the top floor, although I finally humored my dad and moved into a first floor place. Now, I have neighbors above me, which equals early morning wakings. 6:30 AM. Except on weekends; then they let me sleep until 8:15 AM. Now, don’t get me wrong, they seem to be an awesome, respectful couple. (And recently I heard them watching The Hobbit, so they can’t be that bad ;)) It’s not their fault the floors are squeaky. However, I still hear them even if they are considerate. I’ve always lived on the top floor of my dorm/apartments in the past, so have never had to deal with it. And working the later evening shift at the ER has my internal clock temporarily programmed to sleeping late. Oh well. Knew I’d have to give up my sleeping in and adopt a day-time schedule eventually. Might as well start now.

Dead zones suck. There’s nothing quite worse than a dead zone when it comes to cellular devices. Nothing, that is, except a dead zone in your newly-assumed place of living for the next two years. Frustration. I may be spending a lot of time outside the door or down the hill toward the street. However, I think my neighbors will be able to relate and may join me in their quest for signal as well.

I am my father’s daughter. By the first evening, I had the place moved into and mostly unpacked. After that initial day, there was mostly organizing left. Throughout the rest of the week, I picked up last-minutes needs/, stocked up on groceries for the foreseeable future, and had all repairs to the apartment reported and fixed.

My parents rock! They took time out of their lives, money out of their bank, and energy to come down to Springfield, help load me up, drive the Uhaul, unload the truck and unpack the apartment, stock me with household supplies, help inspect my new place, and drive back again all in 2.5 days. They helped pay, they prayed over my life and future here, and offered me love and support through this transitioning time. 

Weird feeling. Everyone is leaving for “summer break”; firing up the grills; spending time at the pools. And here I am getting ready to hunker down and embark on a 25-month educational journey. No “summer break” for me.

Clean feet. I don’t care what anyone else thinks, going to bed with clean feet makes a hard day better. I can be physically exhausted, emotionally drained, and too tired to even think, but if my feet are clean, the world doesn’t look so difficult. If you don’t believe me, give it a try. Often we joked (no, but really) about patients who came in to the ER suicidal or homicidal having many of those negative feelings cured by taking a shower and getting clean. It’s amazing what feeling clean can do to improve one’s attitude about life!

Going it “alone” stretches me out of my comfort zone…out of my comfort zone into a somewhat intimidating environment of knowing few people, having no history with anyone, and being unfamiliar with location, schedule, and preferences. I lived in Springfield 7 years, and when I left, the city was mine. I had my memories, favorite walking trails, local eateries, a home church, a job where I knew what was expected and how to excel, close friendships, and streets memorized. Now, I have an apartment, a map, and a few f/b friends in the area…

…and the family of God. Being a Christian makes going it alone so much easier; you have not only God’s presence with you, but in most places you can nestle your way into the local family of God. Already I have been incredibly blessed to meet two couples through the Chi Alpha program here who met up with me at church last month when I came to visit, and since I arrived this time around have showed up to help move my stuff in, took time to eat dinner with my family, offered help of any kind, and enlightened me to an insider’s view of the city’s personality. On Sunday night, I also visited a local church’s grad group and played trivia with some peeps. The team I was on won, and our reward was DQ gift cards. After the events were completed, a few of us went out for ice cream at a walk-up DQ and spent time just hanging out. It was so wonderful to be with such fun, like-minded people. I know I’m right where God wants me to be, and it’s wonderful that He’s providing me support.

So, that’s the update on me and IC (Iowa City) for now. Until next time…

3 comments:

The Indigo Quill said...

(FYI, this is Lis :) )

I'm glad you're enjoying your new adventure so far, Sandi! I wish we could've gotten together before you left - but let me know when you're in Springfield next. :) I'm so glad you're doing this blog too, cause I'll definitely keep up with you here!

Debby said...

Thanks for the update Sandi. I am very excited to follow your adventures in Iowa City and at PA school

Luke said...

Thanks for updating us Sandra! Thats funny about having clean feet. but so true, nothing like a little good hygiene to make yourself feel better! I totes understand what you mean about not getting a break. I FINALLY am having my first days off from work this year this weekend! but i know if i am where God wants me to be, then he will give me the strength to endure (although its okay to ask for help and rest when you need it!)
So true that the family of God is such a blessing. And how blessed we are in America that it is so accessible in every city. Finding a community of like-minded people makes such a huge difference. God bless you Sandi! I'm super proud of you!