Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Growing Closer


As I was reflecting on the necessity of change in my life, I was reminded of a situation I encountered this summer. I flew out to the East coast to visit a friend, and on one of our many day trips we came upon a perfect example of a plant’s dependency on light. Because both of us are biology majors, this observation fascinated us, and we took a picture to share with our botany professor back at college.

However, I diverge. So, as I was thinking about the influence of culture, friends, church, and teachers on our thinking and attitudes, I was reminded of this plant. It’s a perfect example of how a person or thing grows closer to that which nourishes it. Or in my personal case, how I grow closer to that with which I choose to nourish myself. If I let worldly ideas permeate my thinking, the first thing on my mind when I wake up might not be the goodness of my Savior, but the self-seeking motives found in pop media. Or I might not choose to go out of my way to speak a kind word to a stranger because I consider it potentially awkward, but instead disregard the feelings of others by not doing anything at all. Perhaps, I might be too focused on my homework to spare time to listen to a floormate's struggles with homesickness. Maybe I’ll miss God speaking because I’m too busy socializing with my peers catching up on the latest pieces of “informational nothing.”

With these thoughts running through my mind, I am inspired to make a change. I’ve chosen to conduct a cleansing: spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical. By simplifying my life and prioritizing my time and energy into the most important things, I know I will be in the center of God’s plan for my life. And that’s exactly where I want to be.

No comments: