Welcome to my official first post. I had the revelation of starting a blog several days ago when I was out walking, thinking ambitious thoughts for my life. Hopefully, this blog will serve as an outlet not only to share what I’m learning in life with you, but for you to relate to my stories and experiences; that these posts will challenge you to seek a deeper understanding of life. It is not my goal to amuse you with a journal-like account of my days. Rather, I wish to share some snapshots from my life that have caused me to stop and think more deeply.
For example, today I was considering the concept of maturity. What does it mean to be mature? How does this characteristic demonstrate itself through our actions, words, thoughts, and decisions? Originally, I was only considering financial and physical aspects. Since I’m living on my own now, I am more aware of the reality of adulthood. But this level of independence didn’t come all at once.
As a child, maturity developed in a series of gradual steps. For me, it was present in landmarks such as being old enough to spend the night at a friend’s house, or making cookies on my own. Then it progressed to staying home alone, getting my driver’s permit and license, flying solo across country, and going to college.
Now, it manifests itself in traveling internationally, renting an apartment, paying bills, and shopping for groceries. It’s only natural to grow up. In fact, lack of maturity, as might be displayed by people with mental or emotional disabilities, is considered unnatural. Therefore, the value of maturity is implicitly acknowledged.
So, we can see how maturity shows itself in these ways and we can agree that it is an important act in life to become mature. What about in spiritual matters though? How is maturity demonstrated in this area of life?
I think many Christians, myself included, lose sight of how important it is to develop ourselves in our faith. As Paul states in one of his letters,
“Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.”
And in a another place,
“We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.”
As we progress in our faith, we should be able to grasp the deeper things of the Spirit, we should display more evidently the fruit of the Spirit, and we should be more sensitive to the leading of the Spirit. I don’t know about you, but I would love to experience more fully the joy of the Lord, or to develop gentleness like that of Jesus while on this earth. I want to strive to be found worthy of handling the Scriptures and of discipling others in their walk of faith. But in order to reach this point, I need to invest in myself first; I need to prioritize my relationship with my Savior.
One practical way of growing more spiritually mature came to my attention today. Boundless magazine, associated with Focus on the Family, is hosting a summer one-month challenge. This challenge stretches the participant physically, mentally, and spiritually. I have decided to join many others in this event, and through doing so, I will have a form of accountability to grow spiritually this summer. I definitely don’t want to be the same when I go back to school as I was when I left it.
Those are my thoughts for now. Feel free to comment, discuss, or leave questions. I would love for this blog to act as a forum And if any of you want to join the challenge, check out my most recent f/b note or visit this website: http://www.boundlessline.org/summer-challenge/
Until next time, enjoy this everyday expression.
1 comment:
Sandi, I'm so happy to "hear" your thoughts! Listening and following the Spirit has definitely been one of the lessons I'm trying to learn this summer, too.
Post a Comment