Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Year-End Review 2018

What?!? It's 2019 already. Well, Happy New Year!

It's the time of the year when most (or at least some) of us look back over what's occurred the past 12 months, reflect, and process the past while then turning our attention to the future. As I've casually surveyed my friends, I've found some do not like to create resolutions or use the start of the calendar year as their milestone for creating goals, but as someone who has always liked doing so, I've kept with the tradition.

So, with that in mind, here's an update on my year 2018.

Work-wise -

Our company officially was absorbed by the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics (UIHC) and we became UIHC employees in July. Celebrated 3 years working as a physician assistant on August 3rd! Mentored two athletic training students and oriented several new providers to Quickcare. Kept up with required continuing medical education by reading AFP journals every 2 weeks, attended a conference on youth sports injuries in Cedar Rapids and a conference on interpreting labs in Des Moines. Renewed by BLS certification this summer. Started getting involved with reviving a local chapter of CMDA in Iowa City. I also took a 6-week online medical Spanish course from the local community college.

Soul-wise -

I started and have nearly finished (here's looking at you Hebrews, 1-3 John, and Revelation) a chronological Bible I received for Christmas last year. It's been such a fascinating adventure reading chronologically vs cover-to-cover as I've done in the past and it's helped put the books in their historical perspective. Besides personal study, I was also able to finish out a semester of BSF studying Romans in the spring and joined a gals' study going through Jen Wilkin's God of Creation guide for Genesis 1-11 in the fall. I was on the grading/mentoring team for Perspectives the first 16 weeks of the year, volunteered in children's Sunday school over the summer, attended a weekend conference put on by Without Borders in Sioux Falls, and sang in the women's choir for a church event for Christmas. Switched from Grace Community church to Veritas in October and have already felt so welcomed, especially by our women's ministry director.

Life-wise -

I've been incredibly blessed to spend so much time with family this year. My sister, bro-in-law, and niece visited Missouri/Iowa twice and I made it out to see them twice as well. I've been to see my parents in Missouri 8 times (including one for my grandmother's funeral) and we all took a family vacation to Virginia in July. Our family buried a beloved dog in April and learned to open our hearts to a new one in September. Found out I was going to be an auntie (again!) and heard my niece call me by name for the first time. I've continued to keep up with cello lessons and auditioned (although didn't make the cut) for the church worship team on keys.

Travel-wise

I love to travel (near and far) and this year was no different. The few big trips this year were to Peru for a medical service trip with Compassion Link in May, family vacation to Virginia in July, and a New England/Northwest foliage tour in the fall with a friend where we visited (Boston) Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New York, Quebec (Canada), New Hampshire, and Maine. Other states visited this year include Illinois (5 times to fly out of airports), South Dakota, Nebraska, Maryland, Washington D.C., and, of course, Missouri.

States visited this year - 2018.

This year also included some fun, quirky, local, small-town events or places in Iowa such as Eldon's American Gothic House, Fairfield, Pella's Tulip Time, State Center Rose Festival, Traer Salt and Pepper Shaker Gallery, Riverside's Trek Fest, Le Mars Blue Bunny Ice Cream Shop, Sioux Center/Dordt College, the Iowa State Fair, Tipton craft fair, Solon Beef Days, and the Russian Festival (Cedar Rapids Symphony Orchestra). Hit up the local events in Iowa City area as well including the North Liberty community garden planting party, the Iowa City Arts Festival, Jazz Festival, Rock the Chalk, and Vue's first Fridays dueling pianos. Also, experienced some authentic Indonesian food when a friend's Oma came into town and made us all lunch.

Reading -

And last, but not least, I've been able to get some reading in this year around my long hours at work, fun travels, connecting with friends in the area, and (sadly) Netflix binges. If you'd like to see this year's list, here's the link. 

Looking forward to the next 12 months. Among many things on the dreams/goal list, a few are worth mentioning now.

  • Becoming an aunt again to a niece or nephew due in March
  • Traveling to Zambia with Compassion Link/EU in May
  • Trying to reach goal of reading a book a week for a total of 52 books in year 2019
  • And hopefully knocking out my last two US states to visit: West Virginia and Hawai'i


No comments: