Monday, August 14, 2017

What I've been doing:

Work, work, work. Fortunately, we have several new providers starting soon, but until that happens, I have been picking up extra shifts with the goal of funding part of my Haiti trip. Last week I worked 60 hours. And you know what that means, right? Weird medical dreams where I'm diagnosing in my sleep, trying to calculate medication doses, and going to special events while running a fever. None of which are in my conscious life. Here's to normal work hours this week and less weird dreams.


Hoover Days. West Branch, Iowa is the birthplace of Herbert Hoover and they have an annual celebration called Hoover Days, which includes activities such as a Hoover ball competition, parade, pedal tractor pulls, bags tournament, live music, and food grilled by the fire department. A friend and I went for one of the evenings and enjoyed watching the tiny kiddos pedal tractor pull, listening to the Dandelion Stompers (big band/jazz music artists) perform live while consuming a brat grilled by the firemen, and ending with a sweet treat of incredibly delicious and cheap ice cream! Was a fun, classic rural Iowa celebration!


Iowa State Fair. It's been 8 years since I attended the fair the first time to listen to one of my college friends sing there. One of my "Iowa Goals" was to attend the state fair again while living here. It's taken me 4 years, but I finally made it there this past weekend. One of my college friends from Michigan, who is in Iowa for traveling physical therapy, came with me and we had a fantastic time watching the sheep shearing contest, listening to the military band, eating over-priced delicious fair food, seeing the butter cow, eating eggs on a stick, and wandering the animal barns.

Butter Cow. Tradition at the Iowa State Fair.

Enjoying an egg on a stick, because why not put an egg on a stick and then eat it?

Kayaking. Went for a quick trip to Lake McBride this weekend with a friend.  Although the forecast only called for a 15% chance of rain, it started sprinkling on us while out on the lake. However, as I frequently tell others, rain makes everything more memorable. We didn't melt (Wizard of Oz reference, anyone?) and were able to be out on the lake for about 2 hours.

What I've been reading: 

Finished It Happened in Iowa. Such an interesting (short) read about historical events throughout Iowa and fun cultural aspects of certain cities. For example, did you know the only place in the United States with a working windmill from Denmark is located in Elk Horn, Iowa? Yeah, well now you do. Check out this short youtube video if you'd like to know more.

Started When Helping Hurts. I've heard great reviews on this book and thought it would be appropriate to read prior to my Haiti trip. It's not one to breeze through as there are pre-chapter and post-chapter questions one must consider in context of the information. I think it will end up being a helpful, challenging read.


Bible study: Finished our study of the book of Acts, which we started at the beginning of the year. It's rewarding to study something for such a huge chunk of the year.

What I've been listening to:

Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery. Heard a new (to me) song at church last week that made a huge impression. Check out this link if you'd like to hear it too!

My "classic" artist of the week is Buddy Holly. Didn't know any of his songs, but he apparently died in a plane crash after performing a concert at Clear Lake, Iowa. Since I didn't know his music, I thought I'd listen to some of his better known songs to catch up my culture knowledge.

What I've been watching:

Finished the last season on Netflix of The Great British Baking Show. I didn't ever think I would love this show when I saw a partial episode at a friend's house, but I have grown to appreciate the British wit, learned much about the art and science of baking, and even shed a few tears during the season 3 finale due to the emotions of the contestants. If you're on the fence about whether to watch this series or not, I highly recommend it!

Season 3 Finale. All the feels.

And that's the update for now. 

No comments: