Monday, April 22, 2013

“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.” ― Winston Churchill

Doesn’t it seem like huge life changes always come in waves? Or is that just me? Recently, I have been preparing for huge changes in my life. Closing the chapter on one part of my life and starting it in another.

After my vacation to North Carolina, even during it, I hit the ground running with contacting future roommates, looking at potential subleases in Iowa City (IC), and wrapping up changes of service for utilities, laundry, gym membership, banking, current apartment lease, and giving notice for my last day at work. Then it was on to booking a hotel for a trip up to IC, packing some stuff for my parents to take back to their house, looking into Uhaul rentals, and finishing up my financial aid requirements. Oh, and I participated in the Color Run 5K here in Springfield. So. Much. Fun.

Fun times with old and new friends at the Color Run.
The Happiest 5K on the planet.

Between 10,000-15,000 people participated. Here's our group's final result :)

In the midst of everything, I celebrated a milestone birthday: 25 years. After work, I stopped by my local piercing salon to switch out earrings. Once back in the car, after dodging the downpour of rain, I found out my car battery was dead. After some coordinating, one of my co-workers was able to leave work and come rescue me. What an experience! *insert sarcasm here* [Happy birthday to me.] From that point on, though, the day significantly improved. I was able to spend some time with one roomie and her fiancé over dinner and with the other and her boyfriend over dessert at Village Inn for free pie night. The real celebrating occurred when my parents came down the next day to spend time with me: lunch, mani/pedi with Mom, ice cream, and a movie!

Several other life changes occurred over the course of the next week. My mom and I traveled up to IC, met with a ton of potential roommates, toured a few apartment complexes, and found the perfect place for me. 

My future home-sweet-home.

After the trip, another life change: I applied for my first credit card. (To pay for student loans of course! Might as well get some rewards for all the money I’m spending.)

Our first move is coming up in just over a week. Then two weeks after that move, I’ll be leaving my life in Springfield and heading up to IC to start my PA schooling. It’s a bittersweet time and I’m already feeling nostalgic about leaving my co-workers, college town, home church, and friends here. I know this plan is the one God has chosen for me, though, and that knowledge makes going “alone” so much easier. Here's to the journey, not just the destination.

No comments: