Tuesday, May 29, 2012

mos·qui·to /məˈskētō/

Isn’t it interesting how at times it seems like everything relates to one another? For example, recently I checked out a book from the libary featuring amazing pictures by National Geographic. Among those pics was this one (which I found online here):


Talk about painful. This picture was taken after the photographer patiently let his feet be consumed by moquitoes in the fair land of Alaska. As I studied this photo, I was revolsed as well as intrigued. Who would do something so iritating for the sake of art?

Anyway, that was my first instance revolving around mosquitoes lately. However, it was not the only encounter I've had since then. In addition to seeing this photo, this past week I also received my first mosquito bites of the summer. That’s right – bites. Apparently, the mosquitoes were not content to leave just one mark. Instead, I ended the evening with four incredibly itchy raised spots on my leg. Yes, that’s correct – one leg; the left one for that matter. Anyway, that was the second instance involving mosquitoes this week.

The third occurrence came because of my nerdy enthusiasm to learn. We received a catalog of product listings from Great Courses this past week in the mail. For those of you not familiar with Great Courses, it’s a company that records (either video or audio-only) lectures by academic experts on specific topics and compiles these lectures onto discs for the learning pleasure of people like me. Of course, Springfield having the coolest library system has many of these courses available for borrowing. As I scanned through the new catalog, I marked the courses that interested me and then searched the library to see if they had them. One course related to human disease. Yep, you guessed it! I definitely checked that one out and started watching the series. And that’s when it happened, again. The first lecture was on malaria.

***(Interesting tidbit: The first person who used the term malaria was an Italian novelist in the 18th century. He described the disease as mal aria (bad air) because people who displayed the disease often got sick after spending time in the evening air.)

However, as interesting as those three events are together, it only gets better. The final instance (so far) involved scanning through our church’s weekly magazine, The Pentecostal Evangel. One of the featured needs involved sending donations to purchase mosquito nets for Africans. When I saw this appeal, I knew everything that had preceded this point was preparing me to be able to make a difference in this situation. How cool! Just goes to show that God has a way of speaking to our individual interests…in my case, health and missions. Who knew what an impact a small mosquito could create?

So, that’s my story from this week. What’s yours?

No comments: