
January brought about the end of a wonderful trip to Kenya for Christmas. Departing from Nairobi, it was pleasant and warm. Landing in Springfield, we encountered ice, snow, and freezing cold – quite a rude welcome home. After much anxiety, I finally learned I had been offered a job at St. John’s hospital, which I started later that month – January 24, 2010, to be exact. I learned the duties and skills of being a PCA/tech and became certified in CPR and basic life saving for health professionals. Those first few weeks were somewhat stressful as I tried to learn and navigate my position and the hospital.

February brought in a ton of more severe winter weather. At one point, the governor of Missouri declared a state of emergency due to weather, and the National Guard was called out to help. Those few days of seclusion were one of my fondest memories with my roommates. Valentine’s Day was spent in celebration with many other single girls at our apartment during which we play single-related games including love song lyric charades, Guess Her Date, and Loaded Questions: Valentine’s Day-Related edition. During this month, I also began a wonderful friendship with a Vietnamese student through MSU’s English Language Institute (ELI) program.
March came in with a whirlwind round of training with the secretaries in the emergency room, learning the art of direct communication, social niceties, and juggling a thousand things at once. As I observed one of the secretaries in her role, I was impressed and inspired with her graceful nature and the strength of a gentle spirit. I am indebted to her for her example in so many ways. She was not only my trainer; she became a friend and source of support. Although much of my time was spent at work, I was also able to continue accompanying for voice lessons and meet up with friends for special events.
April rolled around with many activities. Although I was no longer a student at Evangel, most of my friends still were and one of roommates was finishing student teaching. Therefore, this month was filled with much graduation preparation. (All four of us living together were participating in the graduation festivities). Other events of this month included getting my first massage at Nu Essence (heavenly experience!), attending the Evangel production of Hello Dolly, dying Easter eggs with Van Anh, and my 23rd birthday.
May entered on a sad note with the funeral services for my roommate’s grandparents. The first week was crazy busy with graduation-related events as well: first, the

baccalaureate service, then graduation party at Sharon’s, and finally graduation. I am beyond blessed by the support I received from friends and family during this difficult transition time from student to official adult. I ended my college career on a high note with a perfect g.p.a. and receiving the Outstanding Student in Biology award. After the events of the first week, the rest of the month seemed calm. I did, however, get to go home for a belated graduation party with friends and relatives at home. My friend Lauren was also was able to stay with us for a short time this month during which we celebrated her birthday with an awkward first attempt at making cheesecake. Since then, I’m happy to report, we’ve improved :)
June marked the beginning of summer…and everyone being gone for break. I spent a lot of time at work. Unfortunately, this time was when I hadn’t learned to say “no” yet. However, the paychecks were beautiful. For Father’s Day, I was able to make a trip back home. I was also able to start volunteering at Convoy of Hope again during the summer months.
July found me excited for the 4th of July and going home to celebrate with the parade, fireworks, and family time together. Much of my time this month was spent memorizing GRE vocab, taking practice tests, and reviewing my test prep book. After much preparation, I took the test and did excellent! To celebrate, my roommate, best friend, and I went out for Thai and had a fun evening together. It was a wonderful end to a lot of hard work. One of my roommates also got married this month!

August began with a visit to the county fair. My roommate, Megan, also got me hooked on Zumba classes at the Discovery Center, and when I wasn’t able to go with her, I took my best friend with me. We were soon ardent fans and went every week, usually following our calorie-burning workouts with calorie-rich dinners :) Later in the month, St. John’s hosted an employee appreciation day at Silver Dollar City (SDC), which my sister and I attended and loved. Once school started back up again, we had a back-to-school party with several of our college friends. I became involved with volunteering with Healthcare Ministries (HCM) – the medical world missions division of the Assemblies of God.

September felt like it brought much of the same as the previous month. I still was working many hours every week, volunteering at HCM, and attending zumba. In addition, though, I was able to celebrate my Vietnamese friend’s birthday. My roommate and I also attended the first EU football game of the season, mostly to watch the debut performance of the marching band.One highlight of the month was the JRA’s Women’s Conference– it was several days filled with wonderful sister time, powerful speakers, moving worship, concerts with Group 1 Crew, “Just Be”, and carnival fun. Megan and I were also able to host friends over several times. It’s wonderful having an apartment where we can host so many people and events. I love it!

October blew in with beautiful fall colors and brisk evenings. Lauren came over to help me in an attempt to redeem ourselves from our first cheesecake endeavor – this time we made a pumpkin cheesecake and it turned out much better. I was also able to attend my first EU homecoming as an alumna. Although it felt a little surreal, I enjoyed being back with everyone, watching EU’s Got Talent, rooting for our team at the game, and visiting with dear professors. At this point in my life, I was desperately craving home, and I was able to manage a trip back to enjoy the loving acceptance and support of my family for a bit. The month ended with a trip to St. Louis to the Cheesecake Factory and Fox Theater to hear Straight No Chaser. During October, I was able to celebrate my half birthday, go to an amazing corn maze, and experience my first haunted house.

November didn’t feel incredibly eventful, but I think that’s due to the distinct separation of the events that occurred. Daylight savings rolled in to everyone’s lament of earlier, darker days. Finally, I was able to see the result of all the practice and hard work of my friends by attending “Into the Woods” presented by the Evangel drama department. By the middle of the month, I was anticipating my friend’s birthday party at my apartment, which was quickly followed by another friend’s senior voice recital. And, after several weeks of waiting and advanced ticket purchase, my friends and I were able to go to the midnight showing of Breaking Dawn Part I. Yes, I know; we’re such girls. The Thanksgiving holiday was filled with wonderful food and family. And on Black Friday, instead of joining the nation in shopping, I attended a friend’s wedding.
December swept in with Christmas-related events. I was finally allowed to publicly play Christmas music by my roommate, and we threw ourselves into the festivities of the season: the Evangel Christmas concert, decorating our apartment, gingerbread baking, and eggnog drinking. I was able to go sing with concert choir at SDC, celebrate my sister’s birthday with the family, attend Christmas parties, and go home for the holidays. There’s something special about the Christmas Eve and morning services that I just can’t get enough of. In the midst of all the Christmas celebrations this month, two good friends were married to each other here in Springfield. We were honored to host many of the girls who came to attend the wedding, including the bride herself!And that brings us to now – the last day of December and consequentially Year 2011. Although this year has been extremely difficult at times, I am thankful for God’s ever-present grace, wisdom, presence, and love. Without His Holy Spirit and the strength of my roommates, friends, and families, this year, I wouldn’t be the same person I am now. I have learned that God will never leave me or forsake me, He owns all the resources in the world, He is sufficient, He satisfies my heart’s desires with good things, He is good and does good, His grace is enough, and my life exists to glorify Him. My prayer is that next year is filled with many opportunities to know God better and serve Him wholeheartedly. May you find your New Year to be filled with joy!!!! Happy 2012 :)
No comments:
Post a Comment